Most of us have heard about Cydia but articles aiming at the features and functions of this distribution platform for third-party apps are quite few. So today we are going to cover this particular problem and make a detailed presentation of Cydia.
If you had in the past any contact with Installer.app I could say that with Cydia it is the same thing and simple to use.
The only way to get Cydia is to have your iDevice jailbroken. There are a lot of apps that can jailbreak your device.
If you already have Cydia installed let’s start our presentation.
1. Since we are talking about an app you can access Cydia straight from Springboard.
2. Even though is your first time or you haven’t accessed it for a long time it is recommended to upgrade Cydia. When you run it you will get a notice regarding Essential upgrades. This upgrades are for Cydia that will help you manage applications.
To upgrade is very simple:
When you get the message press Upgrade Essentials
Continue by pressing Confirm to begin download and installation
When it finishes the installation press Close Window
Now the only thing to do is reopen Cydia, we can do this by pressing the Home key the tap again Cydia. This is very important because we need to make sure that all the new features and packages are loaded.
3. To ensure a good working condition of you device it is wise to update applications. I think now you are asking will you know when an update is available. Well when you have an update for installed application you will see a notification with a number next to Changes menu. That number shows you how many apps have a pending upgrade. To be more realistic I will talk about upgrading SBSettings or all installed components.
You start by pressing Changes then press Upgrade all. After you have pressed Confirm you will see that the downloading process and installation begins. And at the end you will see that the notification icon about the upgrades will disappear.
4. All right I’ve talked about upgrading an app but how about installing one. For our example we will talk about WinterBoard. It is simple and intuitive. Touch Sections then System the look for WinterBoard. Touch WinterBoard then press Install. Then proceed with the installation by pressing Confirm. By now you will see that you app will change its status from Downloading to Preparing then to Complete. Then obviously tap Close Window.
5. We talked about installation, upgrading and now we are going to talk about removing or reinstallation. So for removing here we go, in Cydia press Manage and find the app that you want to remove, let’s say WinterBoard, tap WinterBoard then tap Modify. Here you could choose Reinstall but for our example we will choose Remove, and then tap Confirm.
6. Search option can be quite handy if you do not know in what category or in Cydia case section is your app.
So here you are these are the things that you should know or expect in Cydia.